Your wedding photos will give you the chance to look back on your wedding day for years to come, so you want them to be absolutely perfect. So, where to start?
1. Firstly, you need to find a photographer with experience in the style, season, country and venue type that your wedding will take place in. You also need to have a good rapport with the photographer, as they're going to be working very closely with you on one of the most important days of your life. Additionally, ensure your photographer can tailor their style to work with you on your ideas and visions.
Research photographers via Instagram, ask recently married friends for recommendations and browse photographers' portfolios, but don't forget, their highlighted images will be their favourites, so it's a good idea to take a look through some of their whole wedding albums.
2. Arrange a visit to your venue with your photographer. This can be a fun opportunity to scout out some of the best photo spots at your venue. You can also use this time to figure out a wet weather plan and don't be afraid to ask our Memory Makers for their insights, too – they're based at the venue the majority of the time and may have some additional suggestions.
You may also wish to arrange an engagement shoot with your photographer. This gives you the opportunity to get to know your photographer better, see their style of shooting and see samples of their work that include you, before the big day comes around.
3. Create a timeline for your photographer, including information on specific shots you're looking for. They'll have the ‘usual' shots in mind already, such as the first dance, but you may have more specific moments you'd like to capture, such as photos with your absolute favourite uncle, a special piece of jewellery you're wearing on the day, or a fun couple pose you've seen online.
Scheduling in plenty of time for photos (no matter how perfect everything goes, there's always a chance that things will run over time!) and ensuring you've thought about what you want in advance will make for less stress on the day, which is only ever a good thing!
4. Brides, you don't want to be worrying about your hair and makeup when it comes to the big day. It's worth bringing a camera to your hair and makeup trial to see how it looks on camera, as well as wearing your wedding makeup for a day beforehand, to see how well it lasts.
On the day, make sure you have an emergency beauty kit on hand to keep you picture-perfect all day. Your maid of honour could keep a stash for you that includes your lip gloss, blotting paper, mascara, eyeliner and hair pins if needed.
Grooms, bring some blotting cloths or tissue to keep you from looking shiny, especially if it's hot.
5. Enlist the help of some of your bridesmaids or groomsmen to collect people for group photos, take anyone's questions or keep an eye on the clock. Make sure they know what their roles are in advance and this will help decrease stress, ensuring you're relaxed and happy in your photos and everyone has more time to enjoy the reception!
6. Be vocal with your photographer on the day. If you have a ‘side' you prefer or any insecurities, let your photographer know, so that you're comfortable during the photoshoot. The less self-conscious you are, the better.
7. Relax and have fun! Your emotions will show on your face, so make sure you enjoy your special day and your photos will showcase your wonderful memories.
UNIQUE BACKDROPS FOR YOUR WEDDING PHOTOS
Unique and renowned Grand Staircase that has been restored to its original beauty - a stunning, Instagrammable backdrop for your photographs.
The Grade II listed Ballroom is one of London's finest and last examples of Art-Deco architecture. The luxurious Silver Gallery makes a unique backdrop for your wedding photos.
Only steps from the London Eye and Big Ben, enjoy the stunning backdrops available outside the hotel for the most memorable wedding photographs.
Perched on the clifftop with sweeping views of Bournemouth's seven miles of golden sands, this is the perfect backdrop for your wedding photographs.
Enjoy the breathtaking Palm Court suite with its tall Bath-stone walls and unique stained glass ceiling for your memorable wedding photographs in Bristol.
Nestled within 400 acres of rolling countryside, this majestic manor house including the 11th century chapel is the picture-perfect backdrop for your special day.
The picturesque gardens and views of York Racecourse and Knavesmire Park provide the perfect backdrop for your photographs in York.
If you're planning your wedding, arrange a one-to-one consultation with one of our Memory Makers.